Script: Deploy Office 365

Greetings!

I’d like to share the following script with the community for any that might find it useful. Full Readme has been included below along with download links to various versions. Feel free to ask questions, request changes or edit to your liking. Thanks!

Synopsis

Automates silent install or removal of Office 365 editions using the Office Deployment Toolkit, allowing custom config XML generation,removal of existing/older Office installs and more

Features

• Automatically downloads required ODT and Office 365 setup files
  • Silently deploys Office 365 installs using ODT
  • Detects all current installed Office products and editions
  • Ability to create ODT XML file programmatically from configured variables
  • Ability to remove/upgrade previous Office installs and other options available with ODT
  • Ability to remove all or specified editions of Office 365 that are already installed
  • Ability to provide existing custom ODT XML from local path, direct download web URL, or Onedrive public access share link
  • Ability to automatically copy Office 365 setup logs to specified log directory (revives the LoggingPath option that was deprecated in ODT)
  • Ability to specify an existing Office installation share to use for deployment or download from Microsoft CDN
  • Detailed log output and error handling for troubleshooting problematic deployments
Notes/Requirements
  • The script should be run as the LocalSystem User as it requires local admin privileges. It will work under logged in user if said user is a local admin.
  • This is a powershell script. As such this will only work on Windows endpoints. It is untested on Powershell Core.
  • Requires Powershell v3 or higher.
  • Tested on Windows 10. Not compatible with Windows 7 as Office 365 is no longer supported on it
Available Versions/Downloads

- v0.5

• Encoded Python version exported from iTarian. Use this to quickly import into your iTarian procedures
Installation and Configuration

Installation for iTarian Procedures

• Download the ITSM procedure:
  • Within your ITSM portal, import the procedure under Configuration Templates - Procedures
  • Configure desired procedure name, alert settings..etc
  • Configure the default parameters for the procedure from the Parameters tab of the script. See Configuration Parameters below for explanations of each parameter
  • Click Save - Ready to Review - Approve to finish. Assign to a profile and optionally a schedule of your liking
  • (Recommended) Run the new procedure on a single test machine to ensure its working or configured as expected
iTarian Configuration
  • This script can be configured by editing the parameter options within the iTarian RMM procedure
Powershell Configuration
  • If you wish to use the pure PowerShell shell script version, use the configuration variables located in the region Configurable Script Parameters located near the top of the script
Configuration Parameters/Variables

Be sure to read and understand what each config option does, as some are dependent on others, or some negate others…etc

Note: 1 = Enabled, 0 = Disabled

Install Office Configuration

• InstallOffice
    • Default: 0
    • Installs Office 365 using config values set in this script
    • If this option and RemoveOffice_Only are disabled, script only returns any detected Office installations
  • InstallOffice_Download_Path
    • Default: C:\Office365Install
    • Directory where the Office 365 setup and ODT files should be downloaded
  • InstallOffice_Edition
    • Default: O365BusinessRetail
    • Available Options: O365BusinessRetail, O365ProPlusRetail (Pick 1 Only)
    • Edition of Office 365 that will be installed and/or verified
  • Install_Office_Source_Path
    • Default: Internet
    • Path where Office installation files will be deployed from
    • Defaults to downloading from the internet (Microsoft CDN) if a valid path is not provided
    • Good to use if deploying to many clients via a central network share to prevent internet bandwidth saturation
  • InstallOffice_WITH_XML
    • Enables using an existing ODT XML configuration file for Office installs
    • If enabled, "InstallOffice_WITH_XML_PATH" must be configured
    • If enabled, any further "InstallOffice_" options below (without XML in the name) are ignored as they will be provided by the XML config
  • InstallOffice_WITH_XML_PATH
    • Default: C:\Office365Install\365ODT-Config.xml
    • Path to an existing ODT XML configuration file to use for Office Installs
    • Requires enabling "InstallOffice_WITH_XML", otherwise is ignored
    • Local/UNC paths, direct download web URLs, and Onedrive public access share link URLs are accepted
    • If provided a URL to a valid XML file, it will be downloaded automatically to the directory specified in "InstallOffice_Download_Path"
    • Onedrive share links permissions must be public access links (anyone who has the link is allowed access)
      • Recommend creating links that expire as soon as you are done with deployment
    • To create and customize your own configuration file, highly recommend visiting https://config.office.com
  • Install_Office_Channel
    • Default: Current
    • Available Options: Current,CurrentPreview,SemiAnnual,SemiAnnualPrevie w,BetaChannel,MonthlyEnterprise (Pick 1 Only)
    • Defines which channel to use for installing Office
  • InstallOffice_Accept_EULA
    • Default: 1
    • Enables automatically accepting EULA for Office 365 installs
  • InstallOffice_Auto_Activate
    • Enables automatic activation of Office Installs
  • InstallOffice_Display_Install
    • Enables displaying UI while Installing Office. Leave disabled for silent installs
  • InstallOffice_Enable_Updates
    • Enables automatic updates for Office installs
  • InstallOffice_Exclude_Apps
    • Default: Groove,Lync
    • Available Options: Groove,Teams,Lync,Access,Excel,Onedrive,Onenote,Ou tlook,PowerPoint,Publisher,Word
    • Specifies the applications that should be excluded from installing with Office, comma separated
  • InstallOffice_Force_APPSHUTDOWN
    • Enables force closing any open Office apps or processes when installing Office
  • InstallOffice_Org_Name
    • Default: My Organization
    • Specifies your organization name for Office installs
  • InstallOffice_Remove_Previous_Installs
    • Enables removal of any previous non-365 (MSI installed) versions of Office found when installing Office 365
  • InstallOffice_Shared_Computer_Licensing
    • Enables configuring office to use Shared Computer Licensing during Office installs
    • This is primarily used for installing Office on shared systems such as RDP servers. Note: this requires a special license from Microsoft to use
Remove Office Configuration
  • RemoveOffice_Only
    • Default: Disabled
    • Removes/uninstalls existing Office 365 installs found
    • If enabled, no installs or other options configured will occur. Will only remove Office 365 installations. Will not remove MSI based or older Office installations
  • RemoveOffice_Only_Edition
    • Default: All
    • Specifies the edition of Office to remove when RemoveOffice_Only is enabled
    • Available Options: O365BusinessRetail, O365ProPlusRetail, All (Pick 1)
    • Requires enabling "RemoveOffice_Only"
    • All (default) removes any 365 edition of Office (Including Visio, Project..etc). Will not remove non-365 licensed editions (OEM/VL editions)
Log Configuration
  • LogFile_Directory
    • Default: "C:\Logs"
    • Directory where log file should be created
    • Log file contains detailed status, error, warning and other messages used for troubleshooting or auditing
  • Copy_SetupLogs
    • Copies Office 365 setup logs to the log directory specified in "LogFile_Directory"
    • This provides similiar functionality to the LoggingPath ODT XML option that was deprecated by Microsoft

EZT-DeployO365.json (90 KB)

Mate, well done and thanks for sharing back to the forum.
These scripts are what drives the rmm, we really need a proper community script library that can work along side the current one, or approved scripts that can be added from mods etc.

mcfproservices

Thanks! I agree 100%. I hope to be discussing with them about such a library soon. Scripts are also a great metric for helping determine what kind of features could be developed into the core system

Hi @eztech!

First of all, thanks for sharing this useful script.

Some time ago I suggested building an official Comodo & ITarian script repository on GitHub:
https://forum.itarian.com/forum/script-library/35278-suggestion-build-an-official-comodo-itarian-script-repository-at-github

I think it would be quick to suggest new scripts and modifications to the current scripts through a proper script repository rather than through the Forum, as we currently do. Having such a script library would be really great.

Have a nice day!
– Javier Llorente

Couldn’t agree more. I’d go even so far as to say having a community scripts section directly within iTarian RMM would be great. For both browsing available community scripts and submitting. I’m a huge fan of forums, and wish they were as popular as they use to be, but I agree this forum is probably not a great place for the best visibility of scripts

Not possible to download, forbidden?

Seems to be working for me but here is an alternative link if the one above is not
https://eztechhelp-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/p/mdodge/Ec7AOud5YVBKjqD2kAPru8YBrM58-P6BCQwS4hHL1yByng?e=cLUIp9

Working! Thx

link doesn’t seem to work, i would like a copy. cheers!

I re-uploaded it on my original post at the top. I then tested both while logged in and out of the forums and seems to be working. Can you give it a try? I apologize, not sure why this forum has such issues with attachments going dead

Hi @eztech,

We have also published your script here
https://scripts.itarian.com/frontend/web/topic/deploy-office-365

Kind Regards,
PremJK