Hi all,

Now that maintenance windows are available for us to try out with the latest release, I have some questions for the community about how you go about managing Windows Updates with the platform.

My understanding is that C1/Itarian calls on the Windows Update service to check for and install updates, as opposed to disabling it entirely and handling those updates directly. As everyone who reads this knows, Windows Updates are frequently buggy so it's usually a good idea to wait a few weeks before installing them so Microsoft has time to fix the issues that come up. On top of that, Windows 10 is now persistent in turning the Windows Update service back on if you disable it (thanks to the Windows Update Medic Service), taking away some of our control over it.

How do you go about dealing with those issues, or are there some best practice guidelines from Itarian on how we should deal with these problems using the tools the platform provides?

My understanding would suggest that we need to have a recurring procedure, probably daily, to make sure the Windows Update service stays disabled (because the Medic serivce will keep re-enabling it), and only enable and run the Windows Update service once a month during a maintenance window, a few weeks after Patch Tuesday, to leave enough of a gap for any issues to be flagged and fixed.