Device Control not working for new devices - Bug with CCS since Feb 2019

Hi All, first post here so please bear with me.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on a bug I reported last year in February, we are running latest CCS (the version released on 18th jan this year) and in the patch notes is the following:
" Fixed bug that caused device control to function incorrectly when scan removable media is enabled. "

It seems the bug is not patched. I reported this bug back in Feb 2019, and they have supposedly patched it twice now but it seems that they haven’t tested a damn thing. Can someone else confirm if it’s just us or everyone? We’re running windows 10 professional and latest communication client and CCS. Here’s how to reproduce the bug:

-Enable device control so that USB storage devices / removable media is supposedly blocked.
-Enable the scanning of removable media.
-Grab a USB storage device that comodo HAS NOT seen before. Plug the device in, and it will state that the device is blocked but you will still be able to READ AND WRITE data to / from the USB without restriction, no files will be scanned.

They stated that the bug was patched back in April last year. It was not. They have now claimed in their patch notes that it is patched with the latest version just released. It is not. Just wanted to make sure it’s not just me.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

@Zachow ,

We thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our Developers are indeed looking at this situation and your feedback had been provided by our support team for our Product Team to investigate deeper. Thank you for your patience

@Jimmy

Any update on this? Still haven’t heard back from the Development team (who promised to reply / update the ticket well over a week ago)

Thanks

This is a serious security issue I hope this is resolved right away.

Thanks @libretech , I’m glad someone thinks it’s also a security issue!

They are categorising this as a minor “bug” (that has been present since Febuary last year)

Guys, from my understanding of the situation this is not a simple fix to resolve. @Jimmy , perhaps you could get a product manager to comment here with more detailed information.

Hello @Zachow ,

We are working on your situation with our team. It will be release as soon as possible. Also you can contact me directly about any other problems. I am sending you a direct message about details.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Zeynep.

@zeynepyildirim

I was hoping you could confirm where this currently is at? I’m being told by one team that “It will be patched in our next release in march” and by another that “at the moment there is and will not be a set ETA on fixing this.”.

Please confirm what’s going on? I keep being promised a reply from your development team soon, but never hear anything back. Also you stated that you would provide more details via DM, but you’ve only provided me with your email address, was hoping for something a little more informative / detailed.

Thanks
Zac.

Hi @Zachow ,

We can’t resolve that issue quickly because of OS behavior, notifications about new USB device plugged came in async order to the different sub-systems. We will inform you as soon as we fixed.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Zeynep.

Hi @zeynepyildirim
I am not saying that it’s an easy fix, or disputing the fact that it’s a very technical issue, I would just like to know an ETA / whats going on. You can’t seem to even agree on an ETA ; someone promising a patch tested and fully implemented in March’s release, someone telling me that there is no ETA at all and will be no ETA, and someone else telling me that they are awaiting feedback from the development team with regards to an ETA (who keep promising to update me soon and never do).

My point is that this was originally reported on 28th Feb 2019, which means that as of Friday next week it will be an ongoing issue for 1 year. Our company complies with GDPR / PCIDSS / FCA (just to name a few) which all have strict rules on data protection, so we need device control to be working. I’m sure we’re not the only Comodo customer out there that complies with these regulations.

You’re also refusing to comment on why it was added to the patch notes in the latest release as “Fixed”. It’s also never been explained why back in approximately April 2019 the bug was fixed, but then returned in the very next release. It’s just frustrating getting mixed messages from different people within Comodo / iTarian and any questions I ask are blatantly ignored or deflected etc.

Zac.

Hi @Zachow ,

I am sorry for latency and misunderstanding. We closed and released the issue on 13th April 2019. And we start working immediately after your post again. Both support and development team is aware of the issue and we will inform you about any progresses.

Regards,
Zeynep.

Please could you also add me to this ticket to be kept up-to-date.

@nct ,

We will add you on the loop as well

Hi All,

We had an incident this morning with malware being detected on a USB device which should have been blocked. Please see attached screenshots. Besides the malware being detected, the user’s USB drive that was plugged in was their “Backups” drive, and they could have taken a copy of data on their PC (which if they did, would be terrible because the corporate data they copied would now be stored unencrypted on an insecure USB drive)

Please advise on the status of this ticket? The bug has been present now for a year and a half, and I was promised that this bug would be patched twice this year, and it was even included in the patch notes for one of your updates as being fixed.

Please advise? See attached screenshots for reference. I would like this ticket escalated to a higher level of support immediately. This is not acceptable.

@Jimmy @nct @zeynepyildirim

Zac.

Hi @Zachow ,

According to the profile settings, scan can be started before USB stick is blocked. Our team is working on device control feature and removable media scanning feature uses. I will inform you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.
Regards,
Zeynep.