Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Driver updates not supported in Patch Management?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are Driver updates not supported in Patch Management?

Can you please explain the logic for not supporting Driver updates in Patch Management?

This is from previous post by an Itarian Staff member: https://forum.itarian.com/forum/prod...ly-patched-but

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
    Hi smartcloud
    Not all available Windows updates will be displayed in the Patch Management (PM). Here are explanations shared by the product development team:

PM can show less patches than Windows Update because the scan of ITSM is older than scan of Windows Update. We are making scans every 24 hours when the device is online. The first scan happens 2 hours after the device becomes online.

PM can show less patches than Windows Update for installed patches because it hides patches which are superceded by other newer patches. If you see a patch which seems installed on Windows Update but not in ITSM Patch Management, you can search it in the Windows Update Catalog and see if it is superceded by another patch.

PM can show less patches than Windows Update for available patches because the "Drivers" category is not supported in PM. It is the MSP's responsibility to install driver updates as needed. We would like to point out that such updates can potentially cause problems on endpoints.

He says, "It is the MSP's responsibility to install driver updates as needed."

At least give us the option to choose which category of patches are automatically pushed and allow us to manually push the driver updates from Patch Management. By not showing the drivers needed, we have no clue what drivers are outdated and need to be updated. Every other RMM tool I've used or trialed, including Atera, Pulseway, Syncro, Kaseya, AVG Managed Workplace, and Solwarinds all showed drivers needed for patching. So I simply do not understand the logic behind Itarian not showing drivers. That should be up to us to decide if we want to do it and not the RMM tool.
    I·Tar·i·an (noun): The IT Gurus that develop and master the power of IT to solve the world's most pressing challenges!

Hello tandytech, upon checking on our resources, the ability to include the driver updates in Patch Management is still on our roadmap.

Our development team would like to point the following:

For Windows 10: If users Windows auto update settings is on, then driver updates will be seen in MS repositories and if agent will update it automatically.

For older versions: We can fetch, show and install driver updates. But, updating drivers can cause irreversible fatal failures on hardware (even if you install it from Windows update).
    So we prefer not to implement it on Patch management module.

Though the said feature request is in regards to Windows 10 device driver updates, it is doable to include driver updates in PM. We will provide you an email notification for any updates regarding this feature and its timeline once it is prioritized on the road-map for a delivery.

Thank you for your support.

Comment

More flexibility on patch management would be a start as it does seem limited.

I have not checked out any new features this month yet, and hoping that combined with maintenance window might be enough.

Drivers is a hard one, graphics drivers are always a tricky one as well as WiFi and nic as these can bsod or loose you your connection.

It is hard what to know what to do for the best.

Something that would be good is to get the hardware information from the old RMM agent into CCC as this has taken way too long.

At least then we would know hardware and drivers for each device.
      Robin
      Director
      Strobe Technologies Ltd
      https://www.strobe-it.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by StrobeTech View Post
        More flexibility on patch management would be a start as it does seem limited.

I have not checked out any new features this month yet, and hoping that combined with maintenance window might be enough.

Drivers is a hard one, graphics drivers are always a tricky one as well as WiFi and nic as these can bsod or loose you your connection.

It is hard what to know what to do for the best.

Something that would be good is to get the hardware information from the old RMM agent into CCC as this has taken way too long.

At least then we would know hardware and drivers for each device.
        I agree with all of StrobeTech' s points too.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna C View Post
          Hello tandytech, upon checking on our resources, the ability to include the driver updates in Patch Management is still on our roadmap.

Our development team would like to point the following:

For Windows 10: If users Windows auto update settings is on, then driver updates will be seen in MS repositories and if agent will update it automatically.

For older versions: We can fetch, show and install driver updates. But, updating drivers can cause irreversible fatal failures on hardware (even if you install it from Windows update).
          So we prefer not to implement it on Patch management module.

Though the said feature request is in regards to Windows 10 device driver updates, it is doable to include driver updates in PM. We will provide you an email notification for any updates regarding this feature and its timeline once it is prioritized on the road-map for a delivery.

Thank you for your support.
          Sorry, I'm a little confused, maybe I'm reading it wrong but you seem to be contradicting yourself. You said, "...driver updates in Patch Management is still on our roadmap." But then below you said, "So we prefer not to implement it on Patch management module." And then again you said, "We will provide you an email notification for any updates regarding this feature and its timeline once it is prioritized on the road-map for a delivery." Can you please clarify?

Also, as MSP's we are well aware of issues a driver update can cause, although in the 30+ years I've been in the IT field I've never seen an "irreversible fatal failures on hardware" because of a driver update. Any Microsoft update can cause problems, it happens from time to time and that's even more of a reason why we should have FULL control over Patch Management. Right now in it's current state, Patch Management doesn't even tell us if there is a driver update available. As I previously mentioned, every RMM I've tested does this.

The whole point of a RMM tool is to save time and be more productive, it's extra work for no reason to have to remote into every computer and look at Windows Updates for patches that are available. If the Patch Management module gave us an option to select which category of patches we want to push out, then there is no issue, we can simply turn off driver updates to automatically push and install them manually but we need Itarian Patch Management to tell us it exists in the first place.

Comment

tandytech ,

We apologize for the confusion. What Anna C pertained to is that first, this option is not yet available currently on the Portal and our Development Team is currently in the process of refining the feature because they plan to include the option later on. They are currently under discussions with other MSPs who have seen the need for it. We welcome you by creating a notification email that will add you with the rest of the MSPs who requested. In this way, we can communicate with you via your forum registered email and keep you updated on the request.
            Vincent C
            ITarian Technical Support

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent C View Post
              tandytech ,

We apologize for the confusion. What Anna C pertained to is that first, this option is not yet available currently on the Portal and our Development Team is currently in the process of refining the feature because they plan to include the option later on. They are currently under discussions with other MSPs who have seen the need for it. We welcome you by creating a notification email that will add you with the rest of the MSPs who requested. In this way, we can communicate with you via your forum registered email and keep you updated on the request.
              Thank you for clarifying, that makes more sense now. And thank you for adding me to the notification email list.

Comment

Working...
              X