Patching best practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi mcfproservices,

Thanks for trying the script and providing your input. We have shared your feedback with our script developers and they will reproduce and investigate the cause.

Kind Regards,
    PremJK

Comment

I'm experiencing the same issue when attempting to use this script, it fails saying that the KB is not in the list. I tried running it exactly as posted and it was a no go so I began making modifications to it, tried hard coding the KB value into the vb script but that was a no go. Then modified the conditional value of the if statement on line 65 to say "If InStr(1, updateList.Item(I).Title, KB) > -1 Then", thinking maybe the calculations were offset by a value of 1 and it executed further along but I got this instead of what I was hoping for:
      2021/03/30 05:57:18 PM Finished success Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.812 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Searching for approved update ... KB5001649 Selected update Logitech - USB - 10/22/2012 12:00:00 AM - 13.80.853.0 Downloading... Download Result: 2 Came inside the function Installing... Installation Result: 2 Reboot Required: False Selected update Logitech - MEDIA - 10/22/2012 12:00:00 AM - 13.80.853.0 Downloading... Download Result: 2 Came inside the function Installing... Installation Result: 2 Reboot Required: False Selected update Advanced Micro Devices, Inc - System - 8/30/2017 12:00:00 AM - 5.12.0.38 Downloading... Download Result: 2 Came inside the function Installing... Installation Result: 2 Reboot Required: False Selected update Logitech - Image - 10/22/2012 12:00:00 AM - 13.80.853.0 Downloading... Download Result: 2 Came inside the function Installing... Installation Result: 2 Reboot Required: False Searching for approved update ... KB5001649 There are no updates to install.
      Not sure why it pulled down what look like device drivers. Oh well, I will take a crack at it again when I have more time to review the code.

The machine I ran this against is on build version 19042.867 and the KB5001647 update takes it up to .870 or higher which gets you past the BSOD error, at least on build 20H2 it does. Just did this manually to a customer endpoint today by downloading the .msu file from the Microsoft update catalog. Half the time this update isn't even advertised on the device under updates and settings and you have to go fetch it to install it. Really wish Microsoft would make these mandatory instead of optional.

I might start deploying KB5001647 in the same manner that we do the 20H2 build by download it from our own online repository as a full 8GB plus iso file for both x32/x64 architecture, mounting the ISO file as a virtual CD and running the setup from the mounted ISO drive which works 85% of the time to get that feature update pushed out. Just not very bandwidth efficient so we have to watch how many we deploy at once. With KB5001647 we could download the .msu to a temp folder and execute it with maybe a silent install option.
      Last edited by fastassist; 03-31-2021, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X