How would you like us to categorize our scripts on https://scripts.itarian.com/?

Hello everyone,

How would you like us to categorize our scripts on https://scripts.itarian.com/?

We want to categorize them according to the tasks you guys do: eg: Onboarding a customer, offboarding a customer, cleaning a computer…(so please list the actions/tasks you do so that we can write and categorize the scripts according to those tasks you do)

As you may know, you can run scripts on your managed devices to accomplish a wide range of custom tasks. We are adding scripts daily, but now we want to categorize them effectively so our users find what they need faster. We’d like your ideas on what you’d like to see as script categories.

Here’s a few examples of script categories to get you started:

• Onboarding a customer (there could be a set of things you do to onboard a customer etc)
  • System Automation
    • Gets System info from computer
    • Script that prints out how long it has been or when was the last time since the selected computer has restarted
    • Disable firewall and will not prompt for enabling it again and a code for to get ip adress from dhcp automatically
    • Resize/delete/create partitions
    • Test the name resolution on the client from the DNS servers and the latency/reliability of getting responses and resolution
    • Turn off messages about Windows Update in the Action Center after installing the patch manager software.
    • Renames a computer to a specified name, joins that computer to a specified domain using specified username/password
    • If the PC has not been rebooted in the last 14 days, prompt the user to reboot and do so once a day until is rebooted. And, if you can, combine that with a check for if Windows *needs* to reboot. So, if a PC needs to reboot *at all*, prompt the user and, if it's been more than two weeks since the last reboot, ask them to do so.
    • Create a script that enable RDP
    • Manage the power setting and sleep settings of a machine. Then that could be applied via a group profile, so I can set machines that users leave on to not sleep/power off. Then my scheduled updates and virus scans can force reboot afterward.
  • Actions
    • add a list of required bookmarks to the browser and to all users desktops.(The script should verify if the bookmark exist and only create if it doesn't exist. It would be much more beneficial if the script would run through a list and not have to create a procedure for each bookmark.)
    • laptops to lock after 10 minutes of Inactivity
  • Antivirus
  • Autofix Actions
    • Remove all files from folders with name "temp" and "Temporary internet files" at all users profiles (Documents&Settings\User....).
    • Clean up Windows Temp folder
    • Cleanup installed browsers caches (cookies, history of viewing and download history must remain).
  • Backup
    • Check on the success/failure of backup systems
  • Recovery
  • Bitlocker
    • procedure to report the Bitlocker status of drives ("compliance indicator" ? :-)
  • Domain Scripts
  • Maintanence
    • Rollup of all standard desktop maintenance best practices to improve performance and clean up? Like empty recycle bin, clean up all temp files, defrag disk (if not an SSD),
  • Migration
  • Monitors
    • Get Physical Disk Drive Information
    • Monitor to check if Adobe Reader, or Acrobat, is the default PDF viewer
    • Script that alert (create a ticket in service desk) when the smart status of the principal harddrive go bad.
    • Generate an alert when software inventory is changed
  • Offboarding
  • Patching
    • Uninstall specific KB
  • User Management
    • script to report log on/off times for users each day.(users using domain managed laptops)
    • end report via Email this report should include the following information : 2x a day browser reports. (we want to see if a certain user is tampering with things) Mouse/keyboard idle script Change of settings , something that can show if someone made changes on computer settings
    • managing local Windows users (creating, deleting, resetting passwords, etc.).
  • Software and app
    • Install
      • Automatically install updates but do if via the name e.g, "Malicious Software Removal Tool".
      • Scan for new installed application and send us a daily report by mail
    • Uninstall
      • script to remove certain software, matching a regex string that is in Programs and Features
      • uninstall security products and disable the tamper protection (with password)
    • Software inventory
      • list of all of the software installed for a customer (ie so I can know what I need to remove that is not compliant with policy)
    • Monitor new software installation (open a ticket when there is a new software installed) (Monitoring)
    • get a list of the top 5 apps using the resources with the email (Doing so might give a clue of what caused the problems at the time)
  • Networking
    • gather network configuration
    • gather internet speeed
    • map all network drives through Procedures
    • Runs a windows powershell command as administrator and writes the output to a file on a network. The output needs to append to the file, not overwrite (>> not >)
    • Script that automates installing fonts across a network.
How would you expand/edit/add/ these categories please?

Best Regards,
Product Management Team

Hi @Elif Ayhan Kurt ,

“Autofifx Actions” and “Autofixs” are the same, and the “Maintenance” category appears twice. I would add a “System Information” category to all those scripts that are intended just to get some information from the remote computer. Also, a “Networking” category would be useful for those scripts to gather network configuration, Internet speed test, etc. For those scripts that install and uninstall applications maybe “Software and Apps” would be more descriptive than the current “Installs”

I think that’s all so far. Have a nice day!
– Javier Llorente
Devoteam - Endpoint Security

Great feedback! please keep it coming.

I agree it would be nice to add category type listings to find what we want easier in logical format.

I admit I don’t use the scripts enough as sometimes its faster just connecting and doing a task every now and again, a timely reminder for me to stop and revisit this part of the platform more often.

I believe some scripts could belong in more than one type depending on how it is used, so expect some crossovers.
Onboarding for sure that would have installs/apps and software/3rd party installs, patching.
Autofix likely has scripts from the maintenance section or monitoring.

It may pay to somehow have these identified as belonging to more than one category, so when you update or change it, the “same” script is updated everywhere.

All these little changes are helping to give the platform a real sense of developers wanting to improve the experience,(and perhaps some catching up to the competition?) and I do look forward to these announcements and system updates, getting better each time.

The new dashboard is one I’m looking forward to seeing, hopefully we can get that soon and some structured more/better 3rd party apps support (chocy?)

Cheers

Greg

Can we great a group for less secure scripts or maybe prefix the name with the script language or something?

I ask this as VBS, BAT and others cannot run if you use Comodo Client Security with any of the good security enabled. Unfortunately this means 90% and more of the script library will not work and is not compatible with CCS but we need to make people aware of this as currently we can either have a working RMM platform or secure computer.

Python scripts do not seem to have any issues, but the Python engine and libraries included in RMM is limited and outdated.

Obviously a proper solution is needed on this as scripting does not seem to be the right method moving forward due to these security issues. This is a major issue when trying to make this a properly used RMM system with auto fixing scripts etc as most of them do not work. We have Python scripts for services to be auto started but that is about all due to these security restrictions.

I know this might add an additional layer to all; but not only do we need to have this task ordinate as described in the opening post, but also we need to add an OS / Device folder and layer. If not adding this as a layer we need to add this as part of the file / script name.

So for example you might have a spooler repair script called “Service Start - spooler”, but this should maybe be renamed to be the following: -
[Win][PY][Autofix] Service Start - spooler

From this name you can tell the script is designed for Windows as prefixed with [Win], you can also tell the script is written in Python as prefixed with [PY]. This script is an autofix script as prefixed with [Autofix] so you know it is not designed to be run outside of this situation but triggered by a monitor as part of repairing an issue.

Something else that should be done is the script library should link and sync to all the pre-defined scripts inside everyones portal’s by default meaning there is one central list that everyone can read about and not have to worry about importing etc.

This also means that people can comment on the scripts site on improvements which the ITarian admins can look at and update as required without making a 2nd script and once changed updates to all ITarian users automatically which will help remove old and bad scripts.

On top of this we have the normal functions and abilities to add our own personal scripts to our own systems, but have the ability to export and submit them to the script site which could send up with them being added to the list and then centrally managed etc

This way we can all work as a team to make the most complete list of scripts and fixes for MSPs.

I agree with StobeTech

Last night I needed to run a fix, as I wanted to change systems from public to private in a new network.

Searching online in the script library was not as easy or quick to actually find what I needed, try searching the keyword “network” or “network location”.

The categories are not too bad they way they are laid out, but still hard to find exactly what I was looking for.

These scripts all should be pre-loaded in the Itarian portal with an option to simply add to my procedures or mark as favorites/bookmark style.
I understand it will be a large list, and perhaps not needed by many users.

Maybe an option to “Import All” or “Show All” could be added?

Jumping from web and copy paste/import was messy and time consuming and couple times chucked up errors.
An add to my portal from the web site may be an option for community scripts not yet approved or tested.

I was also unaware of the restrictions with bat/cmd when using CCS, now its all making sense why things don’t work at times.
So it seems we need to know what will and what wont actually run, no good having 1000 scripts if they don’t play with CCS or other AV products.

I do not know python nor do I wish to learn it, and after spending last night struggling with creating or modifying a basic script to run a simple cmd then tried a powershell 1 liner that did not work either, I went old school and remote accessed systems to fix manually.

Just my take on the whole categorize question vs real world usage.

Greg

Hello Greg,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Import option is in our roadmap, we will try to reprioritize it and i will inform u as soon as i have a release that.

Best Regards,
Elif

Hello all,
I would like to announce that as we promised, we build new task oriented categorization on our scripts page:cool:.Each category is separated 2 sub-categories as Monitoring and Action.
Now you can easily check all of our scripts under the categories based on your tasks.
Enjoy our new scripts page https://scripts.itarian.com/ , and please feel free to share your feedback with us.

Best Regards,
Product Management Team

I guess those scripts are only Windows based? What about MacOS? If then i would prefer WindowsScripts instead Scripts or ScriptsForWindows and ScriptsForMac

Hi Itarian FAN,

We already have a separate section for Mac OS scripts

Kind Regards,
PremJK