What is free and what is not free

Hi @stevens_pete

There is not a fix definition, it depends on number of devices, and contracts of endpoint security products and when you plan to switch. You may get in touch with @Itarian_Zach

As always, appreciate you being a bridge between MSP’s and Comodo. I think in the end you hit the nail on the head, in that its more about how it was handled. Sadly this is not the first example of this. I don’t think a single (reasonable) person is the most upset about the need to move to a paid model of some kind in order to support a better quality product, but the decision making process and primarily the communication has been so poorly executed that it leaves people bewildered to the point that trust is severely damaged. No matter what it actually is, the optics and how it was handled leave people feeling lied to. I hate the term but it all screams “bait and switch” even IF that wasn’t the intention. It’s so common in today’s greedy world, that you have to be very careful if your going to make such a drastic core change to your model.

It absolutely is understandable that in order to make a better product, its likely inevitable that more funding will be needed. But to go from actively marketing “free forever”, to suddenly a paid model in the manner they did was just, well it just was bad. I still believe the best solution is to grandfather existing customers, aka those that signed up for that free forever model should keep it and the new pricing should only apply to new customers or endpoints. I know its possible as happily this was done for me, and I was encouraged to let others know to contact Comodo if they need this. So why not just communicate that to everyone and pro-actively reach out to all existing customers (en mass via these forums as an example) that this option is available, rather than focusing so heavy on this new cost neutral thing. Or dont make it an option, just do it for all existing customers to protect that trust. As great as it may still be in cost comparison to other RMM platforms, this platform is nowhere near ready to compete in regards to features and reliability. Combine this with such poor marketing, communication…etc, and you get the backlash and response this has been getting.

Then there is the (soon?) to be Marketplace. This was stated to us as the means to provide the funding needed for the RMM side. I know I was absolutely going to use it even if to support the development and success of this model. Plus the possible integration makes it that much better. Most MSP’s need to buy O365 licenses and such anyway, so if they just use the marketplace, it consolidates all those systems into one for easy management AND funds the RMM side to keep it free forever. This is why I just don’t get it (or believe) why there was even a need to go to this cost-neutral thing AND still do the marketplace. If Comodo needed more funding, why not just ASK and discuss with clients. Those who believe in the model may have just found a way to make it happen. Heck I would have donated if it meant keeping the free forever model going. I bet some awesome ideas could have developed. There was such game changing potential. I know I’m not alone in feeling this way. But alas, what’s done is done. The damage in terms of losing customers and money might not be felt as much (yet), but I fear the damage to trust and reputation most definitely will…which is probably the hardest to overcome.

Hi @eztech

I hear you loud and clear; and this is why we are working with Comodo and ITarian for our customers to get the best outcomes possible. For the moment, none of our customers will be getting charged for ITarian usage at the moment as the infrastructure to support this currently is not in place and has no release date for this to be active yet either.

We are also working with our clients that are tied into current contracts with other vendors to see if we can look at buy outs or FOC ITarian while this is active and more; but this is a case by case analysis once we have all the information needed.

Neither us, Comodo or ITarian really want to charge anyone for the system and actually want to keep it free; but we all realise that running and supporting a big system like this costs money, and for it to grow money is needed, but more importantly this needs to be not just for the MSP market but also for enterprise; and this is one of the big driving forces for charges as it forms an agreement and SLAs for the service etc.

Personally I still feel the best idea would be to split the system into two camps; the new up and coming releases and market place for paying ITarian’s and a free version that is about 6 months behind on development for the community. I feel this enables the bigger MSPs and the growing ones to jump on to a newer and more developed platform with support and market place, which also works for the enterprise and smaller MSPs and home support units can still gain a great system, but slower updates and improvements with no access to the marketplace; but have a way to upgrade once big enough or need more features.

Would be interesting to know what you all think, but we and all other parties involved do hear you about the issues these charges are / have caused.

Regards
Robin

Hi,
be careful about what you ask Robin, the answers are heavy :slight_smile:
I understand and agree that, to carry on this platform, Comodo/Itarian needs some funding (my 200 CCS paid seats for ex), but for me

one point is that the old “free-forever” promise is has suddenly become a “paid-product” reality

one point is that I can’t imagine a worst way to communicate the news to a big community of IT-related partners/customers:
flat rates, reduced-price licenses for CCS and other Comodos, competitive marketplace with a corner for utilities developed by startUP or micro-companies and 1-time-use shareware, blabla, many possibilities, but not a line before the decision, c’mon it was doable and easy.

last point is that the 16000 MSPs that use and test the platform are a big value (I think the most important) for this project.
it’s reasonable that 4000 will collaborate to improve the platform, 4000 will pay, and 8000 will eat a free lunch:
treat them in the same way and you’ll lose the trust of your better partners and customers, the last 8000 will disappear.

It is not to late to talk and review where “we” (Com/IT, partners, customers) are in this moment,
but I hope that this time Melith, Fatih and the leadership of Com/IT will try to share some, before losing the best people here.

As usual, sorry-for-my-english…

Interesting idea. My only thought would be the possible strain it would put on them to have 2 separate branches of the product to develop, support, host…etc. Could be confusing too, which is already an issue with all the different products. Maybe its just a matter of features turned off for free and the entire product is exactly the same. But again, and I hate to be broken record, is the trust issue. Whats to say the free version goes away or becomes even more limited. Its impossible to predict the future, and any ideas are worth discussing as long as they are actually taken seriously and communicated well between customers and comodo decision makers.

IF you need any help please PM me

StrobeTech’s post helps some. Still kinda cloudy on the costs and what services actually incur a fee. Getting into an area to even explore what those costs or services are is not possible. (all I get is error messages) I must say that I am very disappointed with this. The only notification I have received is that my licenses (that are no longer free) will expire in less than a month and to continue I must renew. That is fine. I do not mind paying for a product or service. I do like to have a little more detail prior to giving out financial information. Such as what am I buying and how much it is. Also would be nice to be able to handle this via the web interface if possible. However even a phone call or email works. The replies I have received from emails to support have been very light on details as to what the product is and how to pay for it… So where to go now? Probably to a company that has their act a little more together… I certainly do not treat my customers this way. They are notified with exactly what they are purchasing, how much it is, and how it all works prior to asking for money.

I’ll send you a PM so I can try and help / answer your questions

Confusing…

What’s confusing t ???

Send me a PM if you need help.