I noticed at and or around the date of 12/10/2021 - 12/14/2021 the two servers that I have protected by Comodo endpoint protection and enrolled in Comodo One / Comodo Dragron started acting weird. The endpoint agent would go offline and stop communicating with C1 and this caused me to look into it more. At first, I thought I had done something and was scrambling to fix the OS because the server manager was not working (failing to refresh). I ended up finding out this all has to do with when Comodo’s endpoint protection is enabled because I uninstalled it and it works fine when no protection is enabled. The other thing that is happening is when this is acting up, I am unable to remote into the server using Itarian remote control, which just started to happen. It gives the same errors as others have mentioned in the other forum topic, device is busy, unexpected error occurred. I would like to get this fix. From what I can tell it is something to do with when the endpoint manager is installed and the protection is activated, if you have any questions please let me know.
We have created a support ticket to investigate the issue and provide feedback.