How to block malicious USB devices?

How would I go about blocking malicious USB devices in ITSM (like for example Hak5’s Bash Bunnie)?

I see that I can block USB storage, but I’d like to also be able to block USB-only network adapters (not just network adapters) as this is one of the ways devices like Bash Bunnie steal credentials/hashes.

Is there a way to “baseline” devices and then block anything “new” until it is approved/allowed in ITSM? Like hardware whitelisting I guess?

Hello @indieserve

Is there a way to “baseline” devices and then block anything “new” until it is approved/allowed in ITSM? Like hardware whitelisting I guess?

There is no outright available method to do this. But it is possible in a roundabout way.

• The observation period will have to be done once the device has been enrolled to the ITSM.
  • In the associated profile, make sure that you enable ‘Log detected devices’ in the External Devices Control section.
  • At the end of the observation period, you proceed to disable the above setting and will now have to review the generated logs.
  • The next part would be to set up a blacklist that covers a wide variety of devices and then exclude the devices that you deem safe or you choose to allow (from the generated logs above) in that endpoint’s setting.

The short of it, you set up an all-encompassing blacklist (like everything) and then exclude a few devices.

But isn’t the point of Comodo’s defence theory “Default Deny”? Could we set it up to instead whitelist devices (after a baseline collection/learning period). I don’t see how it would be possible/practical to blacklist all known or unknown devices. I guess this is more of a “feature request” then. What if I just wanted to block USB network adapters, is there an easy way to do this? I can’t block keyboard injection attacks I guess but I can at least block the “fake network adapter/default route” attacks.

Also, at least on the visibility side, can I have CCS send logs of any new USB devices attached to a syslog server (SIEM) that I could then create alerts for any new USB devices plugged/unplugged (and maybe add a high risk score to network adapters so it bubbles up into an alert in the SIEM)?

@indieserve ,

We understand the reason behind your concern which understandably fair. Working in a safe environment having a secured assurance that allowed devices are whitelisted and unapproved ones are not. We have coordinated with our Product Development team to analyze the request for a feature functionality.

Regarding your other query, for CCS logs, blocked or excluded devices only are logged.