How to install Remote Control by ITarian to Chromebook / Chrome OS

As many of you know, Remote Control by ITarian does not currently support Linux or Chrome OS. There are, however, ways of getting it to work anyways. Below I will show you the steps to install, start, and stop Remote Control by ITarian. Requirements:

• You must have a Chrome OS device that supports Crostini or Crouton.
  • Your Chrome OS device must have a physical keyboard and either a touchpad or physical mouse.

Method #1: Crostini (Preferred)

This method consists of 3 sets of instructions. You will be installing Crostini to run Linux apps in a Debian 9 chroot. Once Crostini is installed, we can then install the Wine compatibility layer so we can get Windows applications working in Crostini. Once Wine is installed, we can then install Remote Control by ITarian.
Crostini Installation:

Excellent guides already exists for enabling and installing Crostini. You can view the guides below:

Official Documentation: https://chromium.googlesource.com/ch…md#Quickstart [Easier]
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Crostini/wi…at_is_crostini

Officially supported devices simply need to update Chrome OS to the latest version and go to chrome://settings/crostini and click Turn On. Chrome OS will download and install Crostini and open a Terminal window once it is finished. You can reopen Terminal from the list of Chrome OS apps on the home screen.
Wine Installation:

Great, you have Crostini enabled. Next we will need to install the Wine compatibility layer. Open Terminal and run the following commands:

<b>sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo update && sudo upgrade
sudo apt install wget -y
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo apt-key add winehq.key
printf "deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ stretch main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable</b>

Remote Control by ITarian Installation:

Great, you have Wine installed. Next we will install Remote Control by ITarian.

First we will need to obtain Remote Control by ITarian. You can download it from https://one-us.comodo.com/app/#/tools.

Using the Files app, move the downloaded file to the Linux folder. It is also recommended to rename this file to something easier to type, such as rc.exe.

If you don’t have a linux folder, go to chrome://settings/crostini/details and select “Manage shared files & folders”. Map your download folder to your /home/ directory. You can get your by opening Terminal and run the command “ls /home”. You may find multiple folders here, but you should be able to determine which one to use. It tends to match your Google Account’s username or full name.

If you have done everything above correctly, you should be able to open a Terminal and run the command “ls ~” and see the Remote Control for ITarian download in the list of files. Now, we can finally install the app. Note the path to the downloaded file and run the command “wine ~\rc.exe”, replacing rc.exe with the correct path to the downloaded file.

Terminal will now stop responding to your input but you can get it to stop outputting Wine’s log and kill the app wine is running by pressing
Ctrl+C. Wine will being to load up the installer. Install Remote Control by ITarian as you would normally. Make a note of the installation path.
By default, this is “C:\Program Files (x86)\ITarian\RemoteControl\RControl.exe
Starting & Stopping Remote Control by ITarian:

To start Remote Control by ITarian, open a Terminal and run the command:
wine “C:\Program Files (x86)\ITarian\RemoteControl\RControl.exe”
(The path may be different for you, based on your installation settings)

To stop Remote Control by ITarian, open a Terminal and run the command:
pkill RControl.exe

It is highly recommended to create script files to simplify the start and stop procedure:

<b>wine "C:\Program Files (x86)\ITarian\RemoteControl\RControl.exe" | tee -a ~/rc-start.sh
pkill RControl.exe | tee -a ~/rc-stop.sh</b>

Now you can start and stop Remote Control by ITarian by opening a Terminal and running the commands
sh ~/rc-start.sh
sh ~/rc-stop.sh

When you start Remote Control by ITarian, two windows will pop up. First is the window everyone is familiar with, the main window. This consists of the login screen and list of computers. The second window is a small window underneath the first one. This window contains the tray icon. You would normally close the app from the tray icon, however if you accidentally close the tray window, you may find it rather difficult to close the app. If this happens, stop the app using the command above.

Method #2: Crouton
Coming Soon
Screenshot

Reserved for Crouton Tutorial. For some reason, I can no longer edit my original post. If a moderator could contact me regarding this, that would be great.

Amazing guide!

Need to find time to give this a try as currently I use Splashtop which is out backup remote agent for my Chromebook and ITarian for my Windows desktop.

Thanks for those kind words. There are currently still some kinks.
Currently Crostini doesn’t support audio or hardware acceleration. Shouldn’t affect most technicians but something to be aware of.
Also, as far as I know, there is no way to start RControl.exe without a tray icon. Specifically I’m looking to terminate RControl.exe instead of minimizing to tray. A launch flag “-notray” would work great. As it currently is, a careless user can accidentally put themselves in a state where they cannot open Remote Control by ITarian anymore. This happens when both the main window and the sub-window with the tray icon are both closed without closing RControl.exe from the tray icon’s right click menu first. When the app is left running in this state, you will be unable to reopen the main window and the Chrome OS app icon (if installed) will no longer open the app. The workaround to this is to kill RControl with the kill command mentioned in the original post (pkill RControl.exe). If the launch flag is implemented, RControl.exe can be launched safely without a tray icon in a way where it would be impossible for the user to put themselves in this state. When a user closes the main window, RControl.exe is terminate. I’m hoping the team can implement this and help us Chrome OS and Linux users.

Also, I mentioned above you can install a Chrome OS app icon. This was not included with the original set of instructions. I just learned about it today and because I cannot edit my original post, I won’t be able to add the information there. Instead I will post the instructions below:

You need to have already created the start script file. You will need to add a to a certain directory. There are a couple of ways to do this. The first is using the Text app preinstalled with Chrome OS and create a file called “remote-desktop-itarian.desktop”. The contents of the file is as follows, replacing <username> with the actual username.

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Remote Control by ITarian
GenericName=Remote Control by ITarian
Comment=Remote Control by ITarian
Exec=sh /home/<b><username></b>/rc-start.sh
Icon=/home/<b><username></b>/.local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/FAC9_RControl.0.png
Type=Application
Categories=Network;

Save the file as remote-control-itarian.desktop in the Downloads folder of the Files app. Open the Files app and move the file from the Downloads folder to the Linux files folder. Open a Terminal and move it to the correct directory with the following command,

sudo cp ~/remote-control-itarian.desktop ~/.local/applications/remote-control-itarian.desktop

After about 15-20 seconds, you should now see the standard icon Remote Control by ITarian uses as a Chrome OS app. Simply tap on that icon to launch the app. Keep in mind what I said about having to kill it if you close both windows.

Crouton guide is probably never coming due to there never being any community support or even interest in it. However, there are plenty of guides on the web that walk you through the process, probably even better than I could ever write up. If there is ever any interest in Crouton guide, just comment below. I’m a super nice guy and will go out of my way if even one person shows interest. If not, just google for a tutorial. Once you have Crouton installed and configured, it’s as simple as following the Crostini guide to install Wine and Remote Control by ITarian. Crostini is based off Debian 9. Your commands for installing Wine will vary if you use anything other than Debian 9. Full installation instructions for Wine can be found at https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

Also, I never made this clear, but since Remote Control by ITarian works with Wine, then Android and all linux distros that support Wine (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD, Slackware, SUSE) should work as well. I have personally tested on Ubuntu 18 and Debian 9 and they work fine.

You might be tempted to use the paid version of Wine called Crossover, as they have better app and technical support, easier to use, and more, however, I never could get Remote Control by ITarian to work on Crossover.

For those of you lucky enough to have Crostini support, you will be glad to hear that audio support is supported on Chrome 74. Microphones are still not working, and linux environments created before updating to 74 need a few commands to add audio support.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
rm -rf ~/.config/pulse
shutdown

Now just re-launch any of your linux apps and audio should be enabled.

Hardware Acceleration is coming soon as well.