PC naming/numering

How do you mark workstations and PCs at C1 device list?

We do:
For home customers: [+79211234567-1]
[+79211234567] - Phone number,
[-1] - number of PC

Organization:
[XXX-YYY-Note]
[XXX] - organization ID (automatically assigned to customer by our CRM)
[YYY] - PC number (at sticker)
[Note] - “Director PC” (for example).

How do you grouping devices in C1 and C1-Acronis?

Hello @Sergey ,

It is possible to set custom names to the enrolled devices. You need to click on the device and then go to “Device Name” section where you can Edit the device name (make sure to disable “Allow auto rename” option).

In C1 you can add Customers (companies) which will automatically create the correspondent entry in the “Device Groups” in ITSM and in “Groups” in Acronis.

I know it. Question was to another MSPs - how do they mark customer’s configuration items.

We don’t have any home users. The searching for device groups is not great yet so we had to put the company name in the Groups we created. Otherwise when creating bulk deployments we ended up searching for “Default” which brought up all of the customers. We create groups with the following convention:
<Company Name> - <Company Site Name> - < Device Type>

This about grouping. And how about device name?

That has been somewhat of a problem. In the current version of the RMM you can’t see what user is logged into the PC which makes it difficult to determine which PC a particular user is actually using. In our production RMM we have the ability to see the name of the logged in user in the list of PCs (This is a feature I really want in the Comodo RMM) and we are quickly able to log into the correct PC. Without that feature it is costing us about 2-3 minutes of wasted time. We have started doing three things to compensate:

1. Creating labels for all PCs that have the machine name on them (In the past we had asset tags but we aren’t going to retroactively put asset tags into the Comodo RMM)
  2. For machines with dedicated users we are naming them <windows machine name> - <username>
  3. For machines with roaming users we are naming them <windows machine name> - <location>

It has cut down on some of the confusion but it would really help if we could see the user that is logged into the PC in the list of PCs.

Again RMM… Comodo, so what about RMM/ITSM? We just started using of C1 and what we should use? RMM or ITSM. RMM dont work about month. ITSM has no full power of RMM…

easterntech50, want add - be very cool if at all devices list (RMM console, ITSM) icons (if problem): HDD (physical; free space), Temperatures; Opened tickets, Critical monitoring alerts, Acronis backuping…

Agreed. I’ve forwarded some screenshots to the dev team to show some details that I like to see in a list. In the perfect world I’d like to be able to select any of the information that the system displays in the “Device View” and select them as columns in the list of devices. Sorry for the confusion. I’m using the ITSM in the web and then doing the remote control with the RMM tool.

Hello @easterntech50 ,

Thank you for the suggestions.
Regarding the currently logged in user, this will be displayed in the Devices section by the end of Q1 2017.

Josh,

I also want to mention that, it is already present under device details if you are not aware.

We used to use a name convention of “CompanyNamexxx” where xxx is a unique number e.g. 76BITS001. I have since moved to a naming convention using the device model name/number, e.g. TCM90-001, this would be “ThinkCentre M90” workstation number 001. I do not think there is a right or wrong way. Just be consistent and find something that works for you.

The current naming standard we use is %siteprefix%-%devicecode%%yearofpurchase%-xxxx
so the computer would be names something like lil-ws16-0001 (ws = work station).
A few of the computers in ITSM I have had to rename with a users name so I know who it’s for with some home computers

You should create a user in ITSM for each device’s user and change device ownership. At first we were not doing this because it seemed like extra work for no benefit. But the benefit is twofold - first, when someone calls and you have a lot of computers, you can filter to them in the device list, second, they can open a ticket using the system tray icon and the ticket will be “from” their user.

We also group the devices by customer, and then within the customer by purpose or department - right now it’s just Desktop, Server, Mobile. We do this mainly so we can run procedures targeted to specific device groups.

Haven’t decided on a naming convention. Right now the PCs are just named whatever the customer had named them (typically based on the purpose of the computer or the role of the person using it), since we use Groups we don’t worry about identifying the customer in the PC name.

@indieserve We currently have all our endpoints assigned to our login email address and not specific addresses for end users. However, for us to use ticketing we know this will need to change. How to do you handle multiple users on one PC?

Hi @nct - we rarely have multiple users on one PC. Where we do would be in a shop environment but in that case typically it is a generic login (for a shop-floor type PC in a mfg environment) and we then assign either a mailing list as the email address (the mailing list contains all shop-floor supervisors and the appropriate management). I’m sure there could be environment where multiple accounts would log in to the same PC, we just don’t really have any of those yet so it hasn’t been a concern.

I can not recommend any renaming computers anylonger :). Only naming that may be acceptable is a static part with a dynamic component like the serial number or a random number. There is no (good) point in my opinion about naming the computer with information that you can lookup with you management tool. Especially if you have field deployments where the computername gets generated by Windows itself. Also features like Windows Autopilot support name generation at enrollment time but only support serial- and random numbers as dynamic part (That is why I still find it acceptable :)).

Using personal Information is highly inadvisable since you may have to face additional personal data that is protected by different law and may even violate (in Germany) the good practice of avoiding the collection of data. When your renamed computer connects to a remote location (like a WiFi) that collects basic data like the computername you may even expose the phone number to them.