RMM does not disable OS built-in automatic Windows Updates

Hello,

I’m seeing that the RMM does not automatically disable the built-in Windows Update (at least on Windows 7) after installation of the RMM agent. I suggest that an option be added to the portal for the MSP to enable the “Patch Management” feature independently on groups or specific target computers. Upon enabling PM this would disable the OS built-in automatic Windows Updates. What’s the point of “Patch Management” if we can’t manage what gets installed and when.

One of the things I didn’t like about Continuum RMM was that it assumed taking over patching

Thanks for listening,
-felipe

@vitalsupport,

We thank you for the feedback. Kindly confirm if you are referring to the old RMM so we can provide these to the proper department

Thanks.

I think I know what he is referring to. At least for me, when applying a patch management profile for ITSM, it runs on schedule as it should however it doesnt stop windows builtin update from running. For example. If I have a Windows 7 machine that is by default setup to check for updates automatically and install them everyday at 3am, that works fine (no ITSM involved). Take that same machine, install ITSM and apply a patch management profile (to run say every Sunday at 7pm). This works, however ITSM doesnt change the built-in Windows update schedule. It still checks for and downloads updates every day at 3am, in addition to patch management for ITSM every Sunday at 7pm. For me, I have just disabled Windows update (by that I mean set it to manual) and then let ITSM handle it. But I agree that ITSM should take over control of Windows update mechanism rather than just add on top of it, as it can cause confusion or issues. I hope I explained that correctly.

@eztech You’re personal experience was well explained and exactly what I meant. Thanks for adding to the discussion!
@Raymond_Co It’s the new RMM. I started only a month ago so I never saw the old one in use. This is something very basic and important for MSPs coming from other platforms to consider adopting C1 RMM.

-felipe

Hello @vitalsupport,

Thank you very much for providing us your suggestion for a ‘Feature request: Ability to disable the OS built-in automatic Windows Updates when ITSM PM is in used’. Your input is important to us as it will help to improve the usefulness of C1 for the entire users community. We have submitted your request to our product team where they will review it and determine where it will fit best on the product road-map. You can expect to hear back in less than 10 business days with a time-frame for the planned implementation.

Thank you.