Windows 7 Official End of CCS Support

Hello,

As you all know, Windows 7 was due to reach End Of Life (EOL) on 14 January 2020. This End of Life means no more bug-fixes, security patches or new functionality, making any user - personal or enterprise - significantly more susceptible to malware attacks. Just as it did with Windows XP, Microsoft will continue to offer support for those Windows 7 users still reluctant to upgrade to its Windows 10 OS.

We will also end of CCS support for Windows 7 after March release. January release will be the last update and unfortunately, Data Loss Prevention features will not be available for Windows 7 devices.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Product Management Team.

Hi,

What does DLP comprise?

If I look it up on Comodo’s site it can affect a lot of modules.
https://cdome.comodo.com/dlp-data-loss-prevention.php

Your support for Windows 7 ends but that doesn’t mean that all the windows 7 computers aren’t protected after march release?
What will not work after march because you say in the title ‘CCS support’ and in the post you’re talking about DLP.’

Regards.

As a rule, all the software/application that runs relies on the underlying Operating System (OS). Having a vulnerability on the OS that everything else on top (applications/software) relies on, makes it very difficult for these applications to provide the guarantee for the functionality its designed to do. Because OS provider is not going to be “maintaining” (eg: patching if vulnerability is found etc) the OS itself, this leaves the application providers in a state where we can’t guarantee the functionality of the software/application we provide, because what we rely on, the OS, is not maintained.

Whilst I agree, more notice should have been provided to us.

“We will also end of CCS support for Windows 7 after March release.”

3 months notice.

Hi @melih ,
thanks for the info. I get your point of view but in my opinion it should not be the case.

I do get that the underlying OS should be protected enough for the apps running on it.

But that doesn’t mean that the effectiveness of the protection software will decrease:
The unique selling point of CCS is the (cloud-based) blacklist/whitelist policy and Valkyrie.
That is the first defense mechanism that CCS provide.
This feature will work regardless of the support and up-to-dateness of the underlying OS.
So devices with CCS can still get the same endpoint protection as MS supported OS.

In my opinion, the firewall and cloudbased black-/whitelist policy is still the first and basic protection and if thats works correct, the system can’t
be infected. Even if it’s outdated.

So I hope you (==Itarion/Comodo) can revise your meaing about this.

Otherwise its very pityfull that I have to tell teh customers, who just switched to the paid version(!), that they could better have chosen for another endpoint protection like Symantec who still
supports the older OS in some way.

So can you elaborate what you mean with not supported?
Will it not work anymore and what’s not going to work?
I couldn’t get it out of your response.

Regards.

What that means is: we can’t guarantee it will work as intended.
It does mean potentially the effectiveness of the protection software will decrease, because that software relies on the OS.
If for example an API (that OS provides) that protection software relies on has a vulnerability then the protection software cannot provide the security.

Hi @melih ,
Thanks.
I do get your point.
But regarding the first post:
We will also end of CCS support for Windows 7 after March release. January release will be the last update and unfortunately, Data Loss Prevention features will not be available for Windows 7 devices.”
The official stand is that CCS is not supported on WIndows 7 anymore after march. But the protection like firewall and cloud/based feature is still working? Can I keep installing the CCS client on WIndows 7 devices or are they unprotected after march because CCS isn’t going to work anymore?

Hello @ailan ,

Sorry for misinformation, we are implementing data loss prevention ability to CCS. I didin’t mean Comodo MyDLP application. We started with 18th January release. But unfortunately new features like DLP will not be available for windows 7 devices after March.

“The official stand is that CCS is not supported on WIndows 7 anymore after march. But the protection like firewall and cloud/based feature is still working? Can I keep installing the CCS client on WIndows 7 devices or are they unprotected after march because CCS isn’t going to work anymore?”

All protection sub-systems will work on Windows 7, no changes on that. AV DB can be updated and ITSM profile can be applied. The only limitation for Windows 7 is that we’re not bringing new CCS builds for that OS. Only blocker/critical issues hot-fixes will be done.

Regards,
Zeynep.

Just thought you might want to reconsider:

What do Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) include?

Windows 7 ESU include security updates for critical and important issues as defined by Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC) for a maximum of three years after January 14, 2020. After January 14, 2020, if your PC is running Windows 7 and you have not purchased Extended Security Updates, the computer will no longer receive security updates.

We have clients who have/will be buying ESU so Windows 7 will be supported for at least 3 more years.

Hello @stevens_pete ,

We are not ending our support, you can continue using CCS on Windows 7 devices. We will only fix blocker/critical issues. And you can not take upcoming CCS improvements and features.

Regards,
Zeynep.

Hi @zeynepyildirim,

Please could you clarify what you mean by ‘We are not ending our support’? The very title of this thread (windows-7-official-end-of-ccs-support) seems to suggest otherwise.

Many thanks,

Oliver

Hi @inspiratechnologygro ,

It means that all protection sub-systems will work on Windows 7 devices and we will continue fixing blocker/critical issues.

Regards,
Zeynep.

The operating system vendor will not keep the patches if a vulnerability, etc. is detected in the operating system itself. As a result, the application providers are in a state in which we cannot guarantee the functionality of the software / application that we provide, as we do not rely on the operating system.