Hotfix for Comodo Client Security 2019-05-06

That’s a good point! Can you let us know which software you uninstalled to fix the network issues?

Thanks a lot in advance!

– Javier Llorente
Devoteam - Endpoint Security

@DevoteamEndpointSecu
Based on the interaction in @libretech’s support ticket, he uninstalled the following software: Malwarebytes (no specific product mentioned), Zemana and Advance System Care. These software are mainly computer security-related products. When these type of applications are running in the same device, there is a tendency for some ‘interesting conflict’ between them.

This is correct. I removed all at once so I didn’t troubleshoot which one exactly caused the issue but I’ve ran malwarebyte along side Comodo before with no issues Zemana and Advance system Care are the two I just recently installed.

Hi @Rick_C and @libretech,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. In our case, we don’t have any other security-related application in our computers apart from Comodo. We have the FortiClient VPN Client in some endpoints, but the issues don’t seem to be related to it.

A Comodo Support technician has informed us that those network issues we are having with Comodo Security Client 11.2.2.7373 are happening because when updating to the latest version from the previous buggy one, some remnants of the old version remain on the machine, so we are now trying to do a complete cleanup with the CisCleanupTool.

Thanks again for your feedback!

– Javier Llorente

Hello, everyone!

I’ve have just checked and the MSI packages available at https://cdn.download.comodo.com/itsm/CIS_x86.msi and https://cdn.download.comodo.com/itsm/CIS_x64.msi are still version 11.1.0.7259. So the question is still open: Where can we download the latest 11.2.2.7373 version ‘CIS_x86.msi’ and ‘CIS_x64.msi’ packages?

Surely, we can just create a generic hybrid deployment .exe package, unpack it using 7-zip and get both ‘CIS_x86.msi’ and ‘CIS_x64.msi’ from there, but I’m sure that there must be some way to direct download the latests generic packages without having to build a custom one.

Thanks a lot in advance!

– Javier Llorente

Hi @DevoteamEndpointSecu ,

The proper ways of installing the latest Comodo Client Security are through EM Install Additional Packages action button and Bulk Installation Package. The mentioned direct download link may contain an outdated version as you noticed.

It is correct that the package can be extracted from a downloaded Bulk Installation package. However, the installation requires special parameters and interactions with Communication Client. Therefore, we strongly recommend you to use EM portal for CCS installations on target devices.

Regards,
-Can

Hi @Can

Yes, we know that. But there are several procedure scripts that get the ‘CIS_x86.msi’ and ‘CIS_x64.msi’ packages directly from https://dl.one.comodo.com/download/, so I guess that those scripts will still be installing an outdated version of CCS.

For example:
https://scripts.itarian.com/frontend/web/topic/installing-comodo-client-security
https://scripts.comodo.com/frontend/web/topic/script-to-install-ccs-and-trigger-the-full-scan-in-the-endpoint
etc.

So far this is not an issue for us, but it may be in the future.

Regards,

– Javier Llorente

So just a follow up here, what did everyone do where the firewall driver had to be disabled in order to get connectivity restored to be able to use the bulk package update? we had to go around and disable it manually, as most clients are not in a domain option where a login script could be used to quickly disable the firewall driver. Thank you.

We disabled in profile and still disabled now until fixed being honest.

But how were you able to update the profile when they were trapped offline to begin with?

If you apply a profile for this, we found that a reboot of the device allowed enough time during power down and up to talk to the server and get the updated profile and apply it.

Remember not all security features fully apply until you are logged in!

Hi @DevoteamEndpointSecu ,

Thanks for pointing that out. The engineering team is informed about it and the links will be corrected as soon as possible.

Regards,
-Can

Any status update on this fix?

Hello @azon2111,

We have sent an email on May 17, 2019. Included were some instructions to collect the information necessary for our development team. Please let us know if you have performed the steps (through the ticket) or if we will need to resend the previous instructions.

Thank you.

I am confused, why would you want to collect information on a known issue effecting all Itarian/C1 users and you even suggested turning the firewall off till further notice?

@azon2111 Hi,

You are right that this is a known issue and the team has already started to work on it. Since this issue does not have stable reproduction, we’d like to analyze all occurances of the issue, especially in various customer environments. The more sample we analyze, the more safe and robust solutions are delivered. Therefore, we’d appreciate for any logs in such cases if it is possible.

Regards,
Can

I’m confused, if the firewall is enabled in any profile it cuts inet off for our machines, not company based and not profile based. Just simply having it on creates a wall off effect from the inet, all outbound traffic is blocked.

Is this not what the devs are seeing?

Hi @azon2111
The ‘firewall’ issue that was discovered after the April update is different from the ‘issue’ discovered with the recent hotfix to CCS. It does NOT affect all endpoints. Hence, the need for ‘samples’ on affected endpoints. The more data the development team can get and analyze, “the more safe and robust” the solutions they can provide to the users.

Ohh wow, so the hotfix also broke connectivity? Sorry I thought this was about the firewall issue that has been going on for about 5-6 weeks.

Hi @azon2111,

As you notice, this is the topic about the announcement of the hot fix regarding to the issue arisen in mid-April. Although we received positive feedback from most of our clients after the hot fix release, some customers kept experiencing connectivity issues. You can find their posts in previous pages #2 and #3

So, if you still observe connectivity issues even though the latest CCS version is installed on your environment, we’ll be happy to have the logs from the affected devices.

Thanks,
Can