Rollback of Comodo Client Security v11.2.0.7313

Thanks Jimmy.
But will you take on board Ailan’s suggestion ?

This would really get us quickly out of this mess.

Yes, That was also my thought. Last releases had performance issues. Also there the ‘fix’ was to uninstall and to revert back to the old version. I find it realy strange why the last good version couldn’t be released with a newer version.

If the fix is to uninstall and reinstall the client then that procedure should be simplified.
I had just tested this with 2 affected systems:
I had to uninstall them manually with the script. (even then I couldn’t delete the Comodo folder because it states that there were files in use…)

From the webconsole I tried to start the ‘Uninstall Comodo Internet Security’ script. Results: Finished succesfully. But the logs says that it can’t find the CCS.

So please look at the suggested idea and please make a simplified and solid script or procedure to uninstall the different modules.
That should be one of the basic features that should work reliable. I don’t need the all the extra new features that are implemented in every release before the basics aren’t working.

I have been successful in uninstalling with the provided script. I rebooted each machine and am still having problems pushing the reinstall back out to the clients. I have tested this locally on my systems with success. Now that I am running it on my client’s machines it does not seem to be taking the re-installation of the previous version. Anyone else having this same problem?

Thank you for the suggestion @ailan.

I had to uninstall them manually with the script. (even then I couldn’t delete the Comodo folder because it states that there were files in use…)

The reason you were not able to delete the folder is because there is still a need to restart the endpoint to complete the uninstallation process (which is typical with any AV solution).

From the webconsole I tried to start the ‘Uninstall Comodo Internet Security’ script. Results: Finished succesfully. But the logs says that it can’t find the CCS.

That predefined procedure / script (including those available in the ITarian Scripts site) was made before the introduction of the ‘rebranding’ feature. If you did NOT rebrand CCS, the script will be able to detect the ‘Comodo Client - Security’ entry in the Windows registry and perform the removal correctly. If CCS is rebranded, there is a need to either temporarily disable the rebranding then use the script OR edit the appropriate part of the script to target the ‘rebranded CCS name’.

We have received a few reports that the recently revised script to uninstall a ‘rebranded’ CCS is not doing what it is supposed to do. This has already been raised to the script developers for further analysis.

What does seem to be working at this point is the script under “Run Procedure” called “Install Comodo Client Security”. If you run the “Install or Update Packages” choose “Install Additional Comodo Packages”… that does not work.

The above comments are why I’m not going to be running scripts to uninstall and reinstall and then figure out why the product isn’t working. Just release a version that’s fixed (even if it’s a previous one).

Why are you making your (paid!) users jump through all of these hoops??? Do you actually speak to your back end developers? I’m in software development, it doesn’t take but a few minutes to recompile or regenerate a previous version and put a new version number on it.

@ RickC. Thank you for your reaction.
Yes, I did reboot the system but even after the reboot, I got the message that some files were in use. I haven’t used the rebranding feature.
The provided scripts aren’t working like they should. The uninstall function is very troublesome and needs to be adressed, simplified and reliable.
This is why I need to use the manual tool/script. (altough that gives also some problems, like I had just before.)
Uninstalling manually takes nearly an hour for one device, so all the frequent errors in CCS, where the fix is to ‘please uninstall and reinstall CCS’ is very time consuming and unprofessional.

So if you just could implement the above suggestion regarding releasing an earlier version as a patch would take a big issue for a lot of the affected systems away. (not mentioned the systems that can’t update anymore)

Hello @ailan ,

Thanks for your feedback, we want to further investigate the script issue and forward your request to our Development team.
Support team will get in touch with you shortly via email.

Please do reply at your convenience.

KRegards,

Thank you for creating the ticket.
It was not needed but the point was brought into the discussion because of all the on going problems after recent updates.

Most of the times the problem can be resolved by uninstalling and reinstall the client.

Not only I have problems with uninstalling the client so I don’t need this ticket for my case:
This is a common issue that I see a lot on the forum.

I uninstall my clients manually by the tool, but even that can give problems.

So my point was in general: If you can submit a reliable and easy method for uninstalling the client.

And regarding the other issue, (publish an old good version to undo the problems in latest update), why would that take so long on the roadmap?
This is an action that shouldn’t take long and would fix a lot of ongoing problems.

Even the need to uninstall/install the clients.

So please review the decision to put it so far on the roadmap because we need a good and safe fallback method in case of the frequent update malaise.

Regards,
Ailan

Hi @ailan ,

Thank you for this valuable suggestion. I agree that this would definitely ease the downgrading workload. We discussed this idea with engineering side as well and currently they are investigating the possibility for such workaround.

I will keep you posted about the latest status soon.

Regards,
-Can

Can you help me understand how supposedly this client was pulled on 4/15, but most of my customer clients didn’t upgrade and start experiencing issues until this week! Are you sure you and your developers are on the same page here? This seems a lot like previous issues where your helpdesk/forum was giving us one set of information and your developers were on a completely different page. Either way, it’s now more than 10 days later – when is this going to be fixed??

Have you checked the endpoints to verify the version of ccs they have? I’ve had issues but they were all with 11.2 or in removing 11.2 to rollback. Maybe you have an automated task that upgraded them? Just an idea…

Hi @DaveZmeyr ,

Reboot is required for CCS updates to be completed. In your case, it is possible that the endpoints have received the update packages before the rollback on April 15 and have waited for reboot.
In addition, I can assure you that all teams are well-organized and that version was removed on the specified date.

Regards,
-Can

Hi everyone,

The engineering team has completed the investigation on the proposed workaround as sharing the previous stable version with a higher version number. Unfortunately, it is not possible due to the drivers and services introduced in v11.2 . In order to have a successful downgrade, they must be removed properly. Since the updating mechanism works more like an incremental installation rather than a removal routine these assets can not be removed unless the software is uninstalled.

The team is still on the hotfix and all the effort is put on that.

Thank you for your understanding,

-Can
Product Manager
Comodo Cybersecurity Team

I dont think it is.

I havent seen this.

Off topic (a bit)
The only blue screening i’ve seen is with Comodo EDR.
Aweful. The latest version of EDR bluescreened every machine I installed it on.

Regards.
PS. Nice windows licensing :wink:

Hello @Lita ,

Thanks for sharing with us the video.

Can you share with us the complete version of the client security which was on your video?
Was it v11.2.0.7313 ?

KRegards,

So far during testing the one without reboot fails:

COMODO Client - Security is installed on the Endpoint Uninstalling has started COMODO Client - Security is still present on the Endpoint. Uninstallation failed

@boiseitsolutions ,

We will assist further with your reported issue. We have created a support ticket via your forum registered email with forwarded details. Please check your mailbox at your convenience.

This has been going on for TWO WEEKS. You do understand your a Security Company and these are Security Products? We can’t simply tell our customers “hey, you paid top dollar for this stuff but it takes them weeks upon weeks to correct a bug and in the meantime just live with your firewall off”…

@DaveZmeyr,

Our Development team has made necessary changes in removing the CCS 11.2 on the EM Portal as explained by @Can . The script procedure’s task is to uninstall any 11.2 CCS versions ion any endpoint and push out the current CCS 11.1 which is currently available (that has the firewall enabled).